Sunday, April 20, 2008

All aboard

I visited the Answer board Librarians wiki a couple of days a go and looked at the exemplary answers section. It seems a good idea to slam the answer boards and to have a wiki. looked at the questions typically asked on these boards. Many are folk type queries. It also makes one think how information in authoritative sources like dictionaries is gathered where the meanings of words is based on usage. However librarians job is about providing access to organised knowledge and organising knowledge.

I went back again and looked at the exemplary answers and noticed the websites that were listed to find pictures of marine life. I found some sites I did not know and I added them to my delicious account - the first I had added. Great sense of achievement and satisfaction followed!
How can we get IT to let library staff add a widget to our reference and personal work computers!

Then I looked at another answer to a question on finding interesting facts about countries of the world and as I did not know these sources also added them to my delicious account. Wow! I'm having fun. Asker's rating for this answer was five stars and a comment like mine:

"Wow, Wow! Thanks so much! This site is amazing! It has everything! This is much better than CIA! Everyone should check this out. This is exactly what I was looking for thank you!"

Obviously this librarian knows his stuff and we can all benefit.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

It is great to hear that you are enjoying yourself. You seem to be bringing lots of the web 2.0 tools together!

Ellen